As I mentioned in my hello world post, I've been learning Ansible via Jeff Geerling's great book Ansible for Devops. When learning new technologies, there is no substitute for diving in and playing with them on a real project. This blog is, in part, the byproduct of my efforts to learn and play with Ansible. Yet embedded within that larger goal were a number of additional technical requirements that were important to me, including:
- Setting up a local development environment using Vagrant
- Installing Drupal from a github repo
- Configuring Vagrant to run said repo over NFS (for ST3, LiveReload, Sass, etc.)
- Using the same playbook for both local dev and remote administration (on DigitalOcean)
- Including basic server security
- Making deployments simple
In this blog entry, we'll look at the first three requirements in greater detail, and save the latter three for another post.